IMPORTANT: Load all documents in the My Experience area under Resume/CV. This may include your resume/C.V., cover letter, unofficial transcript, teaching philosophy, etc. Please wait for all documents to finish uploading before clicking Next.
If the process times out you will lose your progress, so please ensure you have all necessary documents available before starting.
The drop-down lists only display so many options: please type into a drop-down list to search for your option. For example: in Field of Study, you may need to enter your field name. If you have no field, type 'None.'
If you have previously applied, make sure your information is current as you can transfer it to another application.
Prior to submitting your application, verify all information for accuracy and ensure you have uploaded all appropriate documents. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit your application other than to change your contact information.
If you have any questions or need additional assistance, please contact the Office of Human Resources via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 864-294-3103.
Job Title: Controller/Director Financial Services
Job Family: Management
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full time
Compensation Grade: MP
Pay Type: Salary
Department: Finance & Administration-1
Job Summary: The Controller is an integral part of Furman University's Finance & Administration division providing leadership for all of the accounting functions of the University. The Controller directs financial audits, ensures compliance with federal and state regulations, and provides strong leadership and management skills. The Controller oversees and supervises a team of seven in the accounting department. The Controller formulates and implements policies and controls to ensure the stewardship of assets and works collaboratively with senior leadership and campus customers to provide core business services vital to accomplishing the University's mission and goals.
1. Directs activities performed and maintains quality control in the Financial Services Department which include general ledger accounting, accounts payable, payroll, cash and treasury management, student billing and collections, accounts receivable, Perkins Loan program, cash receipts, fixed assets, endowments, annuity funds, loan funds, construction project accounting, bond accounting, fixed assets, investments, restricted funds, government grants, stock gifts, ACH processing, grant accounting and travel.
2. Formulates and implements financial controls, policy and procedures and reporting systems that provide timely and reliable accounting records and to ensure the University is in compliance with all applicable regulatory requirements.
3. Provide consultative assistance to administrative and academic units of the University in the interpretation of financial, budget and internal control issues.
4. Maintains integrity of accounting records through regular reviews and analyses of financial reports. Advises Financial Services staff on appropriate classification of financial activities.
5. Assigns staff responsibility for regular reconciliations of account balances with supervisory review. Reviews and approves reconciliations prepared by accounting managers.
6. Reviews and approves submission of all required tax returns and tax forms required by Internal Revenue Service and South Carolina Department of Revenue.
7. Maintains accounting records for Furman University Foundation. Provides financial reports to the Foundation Board.
8. Implements changes to endowment investments as approved by the Investment Committee of Board of Trustees. Moves funds between managers as necessary to achieve allocations set by Committee.
9. Establishes and maintains banking relationships. Monitors cash flow to provide information on daily cash position and use of resources.
10. Negotiates terms of agreements for financial services that are outsourced (if any). Maintains relationships with providers and ensures that Furman receives good service.
11. Supervises the University's Bursar and provides guidance to the Enrollment Service Center.
12. Works with the Associate Vice President for Human Resources to ensure that the University's retirement accounts are accurately administered.
13. Plans annual audits with independent audit firm. Schedules dates for preliminary work and fieldwork. Assigns items on client assistance list to staff and review audit files before submitting them to auditors. Sends letters and forms for asset confirmations. Communicates with auditors throughout audit process.
14. Supervises the preparation of the annual consolidated financial statements for Furman University. Ensures that reporting is in compliance with generally accepted accounting principles for private colleges. Resolves all audit issues on the statements with auditors.
15. Reviews annual NCAA report and coordinates required audit.
16. Coordinates audits of federal programs (A-133 audit) and South Carolina Tuition Grants program.
17. Solicits input from administrators and writes management responses to annual management letter comments.
18. Serves as primary staff support and presents to the Audit Committee of Board of Trustees. Develops meeting agendas, prepares resolutions, and records minutes of meetings.
19. Maintains records as required by internal and external retention requirements. Regularly review records storage to minimize unnecessary retention.
20. Responds to requests for financial information for required government reports (E-Z Audit, Capital Expenditure Survey, IPEDS, etc.), surveys and studies in which Furman wishes to participate (NACUBO endowment study, etc.), and internal requests for history or analysis.
21. Manages the budget for the Financial Services Department. Assesses staffing, equipment, training and other needs and prepares annual budget request for departmental funding.
22. Completes performance review process with supervisor/employees to understand job performance expectations and how they fit into the department and university goals.
23. Pursues professional development and remains actively involved in professional activities that are relative to the position to keep pace with demands for services and information.
24. Actively participates in the design of the staff to effectively accomplish departmental goals and objectives. This can involve but is not limited to recruiting, training, and evaluating.
25. Develop and administer plans, policies, and procedures for compliance and industry best practices.
26. Participate on campus and community committees that serve to benefit the mission of the University.
27. Manages and directs Request for Proposals when applicable.
28. Foster positive relationships with all external and internal constituents.
29. Perform other duties as assigned. The intent of this job classification description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions in this classification and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically present in this description.
Daily contact with members of own work unit, immediate supervisor, and other departments to plan, coordinate, problem solve, present information, and make suggestions related to mutual goals.
Frequent contact with bankers, attorneys, IRS, SCDOR, and auditors to exchange factual information and explanation of rules, regulations, practices or functions.
Responsibility for Final Decisions:
Direct supervision of approximately five employees, including Bursar, Fiscal Operations Specialist, Accounting Manager, Payroll Manager, Senior/Grant Accountant.
Reviews work to ensure compliance with procedures and deadlines.0
Errors may cause inaccuracies in reports, records or data resulting in dissemination of inaccurate or incomplete information.
Work is performed independently, and the employee assumes direct accountability for work and independently resolves all associated problems except where final approval is required.
Assists in the creativity of policies and procedures that support the overall University strategic plan.
Reports To: Associate Vice President for Finance
Bachelor's degree (Master's degree preferred) in accounting with 7-10 years of experience that includes accounting, management, supervision, and oversight of complex accounting systems.
Professional credentials in the accounting profession, CPA required.
Effective analytical, evaluative, and objective critical thinking skills and the ability to summarize and present information is required.
Excellent interpersonal skills, as well as excellent written, oral, and electronic communication skills.
Requires the ability to positively motivate employees to perform at their best; supervise and train employees, including organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
Management experience of complex computer based financial management systems in accounting environment including upgrades.
Strong knowledge of non-profit accounting principles.
Committed to fostering a workplace culture of belonging, where diversity is celebrated, and equity is a core value.
Analytical, critical thinking, problem recognition, and resolution skills.
Strong leadership, strategic planning, budget and resource management, and continuous improvement.
High professional standards - Personal code of ethics characterized by honesty, integrity, openness, and fairness.
Work is performed under usual office conditions with long periods of working at a desk and in front of a computer screen.
Work involves deadlines, interruptions and handling multiple tasks.
Ability to communicate financial information to all levels of staff and the public effectively, both verbally and in writing.
Ability to manage time and deliver projects in an environment of competing priorities.
Physical Demands and Working Environment:
Normal office environment
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter.
Job Posting End Date (if date is blank, posting is open ended):
Furman is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty and staff. The University aspires to create a community of people representing a multiplicity of identities including gender, race, religion, spiritual belief, sexual orientation, geographic origin, socioeconomic background, ideology, world view, and varied abilities. Domestic partners of employees are eligible for comprehensive benefits.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Furman University is a selective private liberal arts and sciences college committed to helping students develop intellectually, personally, and interpersonally and providing the practical skills necessary to succeed in a rapidly-changing world. Furman professors are exceptional teacher-scholars who mentor undergraduate students within a campus community that values and encourages diverse ideas and perspectives.