Start the day excited to make a difference...end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.
The Oncology Social Worker will organize and expedite a treatment plan of care for medically complex and difficult social issues related to outpatient progression of oncology care. The incumbent will access patients for financial toxicity and develop a plan, promote communication and collaborative coordination amongst care providers, and provide information and education on community resources. Additionally, the position will coordinate care of patients with clinical partners, provide intervention in cases of child/elder abuse/neglect and guardianship issues, and serve as a resource for treatment decisions surrounding end of life and Medical Power of Attorney.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Coordinates care of patients with financial and clinical partners; helps patients advance towards realistic and desirable outcomes.
- Provides counseling to patients/family to help facilitate adjustment to serious illness.
- Assesses long term and/or future patient care needs by identifying probable changes in level of independence or functional quality.
- Facilitates the enrollment of charity care or other financial assistance for the patient's oncology care.
- Communicates activity status updates regarding plan with clinical partners.
- Provides information and education on community resources to patient and their families.
- Develops, coordinates, and communicates plans with the patient, family members and care team for medically complex and difficult social issues related to outpatient oncology care. Documents assessment and overall discharge plan in medical record.
- Collaborates with leadership to appropriately address concerns related to delays and/or barriers in care.
- Provides intervention in cases of child/elder abuse/neglect and guardianship cases.
- Serves as a resource person related to treatment decisions surrounding end of life and Medical Power of Attorney.
- Facilitates meetings and comprehensive care planning with interdisciplinary team. Delegates work to support team members.
- Utilizes post-acute care facilities for safe and effective discharge planning.
- Assesses and coordinates placement with financial needs to facilitate facility placement.
- Conducts psychosocial assessment as needed for development of appropriate financial plan for medically and/or socially complex issues.
- Coordinates transportation for patients who meet criteria Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Social Work from an accredited program, with LBSW licensure required OR Master's degree in Social Work from a school of social work accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
- AHA BLS Provider CPR required at hire.
- Two years of experience in an acute care hospital setting preferred.
- Knowledge and experience in Oncology, preferred
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.