The Detention and Deportation Defense Initiative (DDDI), Immigrant Rights Clinic, Rutgers Law School in Newark, New Jersey, is seeking to hire an experienced attorney in a full-time Staff Attorney position. Depending on the candidate's level of experience, the position could be classified as a Senior Staff Attorney position. We expect this to be a long-term position, contingent on renewed funding. The attorney will work with the Managing Attorney, staff attorneys, and staff in the DDDI project.
The Rutgers Immigrant Rights Clinic is one of four partners in an exciting project, funded by the state of New Jersey, to provide legal representation to detained and non-detained New Jersey residents facing removal before the Immigration Courts, Board of Immigration Appeals and the federal courts. The Staff Attorney will maintain an active docket of detained and non-detained clients. The Staff Attorney will also supervise law graduates working as DDDI Fellows and nonclinical law student interns providing assistance with the project, and may have other supervisory and mentoring responsibilities. The position will benefit from the support of a full-time paralegal, devoted exclusively to this project. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The salary will range from $75,000-95,000 depending on experience, and also includes excellent benefits through Rutgers University. This position is 100% externally grant funded.
Minimum Education and Experience:
Position requirements: · A law degree;
· At least three years' experience representing immigrants, preferably detained immigrants, before the immigration courts, Board of Immigration Appeals, and the federal courts (including law school clinics and legal internships);
· Membership in a bar of any state (NJ bar membership is not required, though it is a plus);
· Demonstrated time management, interpersonal, problem-solving and mentoring skills;
· Ability to work in a fast-paced, team environment;
· Interest in and/or commitment to mentoring and supervising law graduates and students;
· Strong written and oral communication skills; fluency in another language, particularly Spanish or French, strongly preferred.
· Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
· Excellent written and oral communication skills;
· Proficiency in Word, Excel and Google Drive · Familiarity with case management systems such as Clio, preferred.
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state's preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher education. Rutgers is dedicated to teaching that meets the highest standards of excellence; to conducting research that breaks new ground; and to turning knowledge into solutions for local, national, and global communities. As it was at our founding in 1766, the heart of our mission is preparing students to become productive members of society and good citizens of the world. Rutgers teaches across the full educational spectrum: preschool to precollege; undergraduate to graduate and postdoctoral; and continuing education for professional and personal advancement. Rutgers is New Jersey's land-grant institution and one of the nation's foremost research universities, and as such, we educate, make discoveries, serve as an engine of economic growth, and generate ideas for improving people's lives.