Office of General Counsel
Louisiana State University
Reporting to directly to the Vice President and General Counsel, the Managing Attorney provides legal counsel in one or more legal specialty areas to the nine campuses of Louisiana State University; performs complex legal work involving research, policy review, compliance with legal requirements, review of contracts, acquisition and sale of properties, employment, clinical affairs, and conduct or oversight of litigation.
- Anticipates and identifies legal issues and counsels management in order to develop legal strategies and solutions, often in situations of great risk or significance and with limited time for assessing alternatives.
- Drafts, reviews, and approves policies and procedures, regulations, bylaws, and other documents within legal specialty areas.
- Researches and analyzes laws and regulations; educates and trains University community about legal issues.
- Conducts and supervises legal research and analysis; prepares written and verbal opinions of counsel as needed.
- Reviews, prepares, and approves contracts involving leases, licenses, purchases, sales, insurance, employment, research and related matters.
- Coordinates legal services to departments and divisions within areas of legal specialty.
- Represents University management in administrative hearings; represents the University and its officials in litigation and/or oversees such representation.
- Negotiates settlements involving legal issues or transactions on behalf of the University in conjunction with other University officials.
- Supervises support staff, Ombudsperson, junior attorneys, and/or outside counsel on a project basis.
- Maintains professional growth and development through seminars, workshops, and professional affiliations to keep abreast of latest developments in college and university law and in other related areas
- Other duties as assigned by the University General Counsel