This position will create and implement a strategic fundraising plan to develop, sustain, and expand relationships with law firms and individual lawyers, corporations and corporate counsel, bar associations, foundations, and non-lawyer individuals. This fundraising, development, and communications staff person will work to establish long-range goals, strategies, and plans and policies to further the organization’s non-public source fundraising initiatives. This staff person will also build the firm-wide communications strategic plan that will support both private and public development and fundraising.
This position will be based in Legal Action’s Milwaukee office. This is a full-time position.
- Work with Legal Action’s Executive Director, Associate Executive Director, Chief Financial Officer, Director of Grants and Accounting, other management and staff, and board members to create a strategic and comprehensive plan that focuses on raising new funds from private sources (non-government) and on increasing fundraising from existing private sources, to include: law firms and lawyers; corporations and foundations; bar associations; workplace giving campaigns; and non-lawyer supporters.
- Implement the fundraising plan, including the identification and cultivation of potential donors; maintaining and improving existing donor relationships; identifying foundation grant opportunities and assisting in grant writing or otherwise securing them; and working with staff and volunteers from workplace giving campaigns.
3.Collect and analyze metrics to measure effectiveness of the fundraising plan and campaigns, and track against the overall strategic goals.
- Assist the Chief Financial Officer, Supervisor of Accounting and Grants Reporting, Associate Executive Director, and other staff in managing all aspects of the private resource development including planning, database tracking, and recordkeeping and reporting as requested by our funders, donors, and rules and regulations. Assure that ethical fundraising practices are understood and practiced by staff, board members, and volunteers.
- Working in collaboration with our Volunteer Lawyers Project, local stakeholders such as the Wisconsin Access to Justice Commission and others, and our national partners at Voices for Civil Justice, the National Legal Aid and Defender Association, the Legal Services Corporation, and the Management Information Exchange, create a strategic communications plan to raise and build Legal Action’s public profile and brand identity and to support public and private fundraising.
- Oversee and supervise the production of external communications materials in support of firm-wide development and fundraising and public relations efforts, including periodic (annual) reports, regular newsletters or information blasts, daily (and more) social media posts and other web content, paid or donated recognition ads, press releases to generate unpaid media coverage, direct communications with donors and potential donors, preparatory information for staff attorneys to participate in media opportunities, and facts about and successes of Legal Action.
- Other duties may be assigned from time to time.