Arlington County is seeking an experienced, innovative, results-oriented senior manager to lead one of the premier commuter service organizations in the United States. This organization supports the diverse urban multimodal transportation needs of a growing community of over 220,000 residents and 210,000 workers at the center of the Washington metropolitan region. Arlington is widely recognized for its work in promoting transit-oriented development and transit facilities/services, pedestrian and bicycle infrastructure, transportation demand management/mobility management, and the innovative use of emerging technologies.
The mission of the Commuter Services Bureau is to provide Arlington residents, employees, businesses and visitors with transportation information and services to support a vibrant, sustainable and livable community. The Bureau is responsible for making the existing transportation system (subway, bus, bike, shared ride, and pedestrian network) work more efficiently by applying Transportation Demand Management (TDM) and mobility management tools to reduce the reliance on single occupant vehicle trips.
For a description of the bureau, including past annual reports, a fact sheet and org chart please click here.
The Commuter Services Bureau Chief is a member of the departmental and division leadership teams and reports to the Director of Transportation/Deputy Director of the Department of Environmental Services (DES). This employee manages a $12 million budget in grant and local funds and leads a nationally-recognized team comprised of County staff and 60+ contract staff. The Bureau Chief is a source of research and best practices on transportation options and oversees a major research unit, the Mobility Lab, which measures impacts of TDM services in Arlington.
- Coordinating the bureau's work with other internal and external organizations such as the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments (MWCOG), Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA), Department of Rail and Public Transportation (DRPT) and Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT);
- Directing transportation program outreach to employers, employees, hotels regarding options available for Arlington's commuter services;
- Interpreting County policy as it relates to ACCS' programs and services;
- Monitoring sales and support services provided by Arlington Transportation Partners (ATP);
- Overseeing marketing and communications – including campaigns (Car-Free Diet) and promotions for Arlington Transit (ART) and branded Metrobus routes in Arlington;
- Supervising e-commerce and retail operations including CommuterDirect.com, Commuter Stores (4), Mobile Commuter Store (2) and a commuter information and fulfillment center;
- Monitoring, supporting and servicing Transportation Demand Management programs for development projects (commercial, residential and public);
- Overseeing outreach, education and promotional programs including WalkArlington, BikeArlington, carsharing, bikesharing, etc.;
- Writing, managing and updating a strategic plan and other reports as required;
TDM research, collaboration and technology development through Mobility Lab;
- Writing and managing grants and requests for proposals (RFP) adhering to all requirements and processes;
- Developing and managing a budget – including approving and processing invoices; and
- Managing required County procedures for County Board reports, meetings, County Manager's and Attorney's office, and external and internal communications.