| POSITION DETAILSThe City University of New York seeks an experienced attorney to serve as Special Legal Counsel to five CUNY colleges/units, including Stella and Charles Guttman Community College, School of Professional Studies, School of Public Health and Health Policy, School of Journalism, and Macaulay Honors College. Reporting to the President or Dean within each unit, the Special Legal Counsel will provide legal guidance on many challenging issues arising in the higher education context, including labor and employment, ethics, student issues, litigation, compliance, including Title IX, affiliation and contractual agreements, college governance, immigration, and fundraising, The Special Legal Counsel will be responsible for reviewing and maintaining up-to-date knowledge of State and Federal laws and maintaining college/unit policies and procedures so that they are consistent with those laws. S/he will also serve as the liaison for the five CUNY colleges/units to the CUNY Office of General Counsel. At Guttman Community College and some other units, the Special Legal Counsel will also serve as Labor Designee and liaison to the Office of the CUNY Vice Chancellor for Labor Relations.Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:|
* Serves as legal advisor, providing professional in-house legal advice, representation, and performing legal duties on behalf of the Presidents/Deans and senior administrators of five CUNY units.
* Provides guidance on the implementation of and compliance with CUNY Board of Trustees Bylaws, CUNY and college policies, college governance plans, laws, regulations and other procedures and rules affecting employees and students.
* Provides legal counsel to College staff in areas related to contract and commercial matters; prepares legal documents and contracts.
* Works with CUNY's Office of General Counsel in managing and supporting litigation and administrative cases involving students, college officers, faculty and staff.
* Reviews and responds to subpoenas and information requests under the New York State Freedom of Information Law.
* Depending on the college/unit, may serve as the college Ethics Officer, Records Access Officer and/or Labor Designee responsible for the handling of union grievances and other union-related matters.
* Depending on the unit, may be responsible for processing H1-b visas and working with outside counsel on other related immigration inquiries and processes.
* Manages the receipt and disposition of legal documents.
* Conducts investigations, prepares disciplinary charges and recommends resolutions.
* In consultation with college or university officers, develops and manages legally mandated training programs.
* May serve as a member of the President's cabinet with other senior administrators.As Labor Designee, this position also directs the College's Labor Relations functions, requiring the highest degree of confidentiality, skill, sound judgement and attention to detail.
* Serves as the College's Hearing Officer and represents the College at grievances and disciplinary proceedings.
* Serves as the President's representative to the PSC/CUNY Labor Management Committee; responds to inquiries from the chair and members of the Labor Management Committee.
* Responds to contractual agreements, policy and procedural inquiries from a wide variety of College officials, including Vice Presidents, Deans and other constituents.
* Performs related duties as assigned.QUALIFICATIONSThis position is in CUNY's Executive Compensation Plan. All executive positions require a minimum of a Bachelor's degree and eight years' related experience. For this position, a J.D. and five years' related experience are required, at least three of which must be in law practice. Membership in New York State bar required.Additional preferred qualifications include the following:
* Knowledge of relevant state and federal employment laws and experience responding to employment-related complaints and issues strongly preferred.
* Work effectively in varied situations involving extensive client contact.
* Strong work ethic, character, and personal integrity to work with the utmost professionalism, discretion, confidentiality and diplomacy.
* Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication and presentation skills.
* Detail oriented and accurate with exceptional critical analysis, research and evaluation skills to be decisive and draw valid conclusions.
* Strong organizational skills with ability to manage a large and varied workload of assignments with conflicting priorities, follow up, and complete work by prescribed deadlines.CUNY TITLEAssociate AdministratorCOMPENSATION AND BENEFITSSalary commensurate with education and experience.CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.HOW TO APPLYFrom our job posting system, select "Apply Now", create or log in to a user account, and provide the requested information. If you are viewing this posting from outside our system, access the employment page on our web site and search for this vacancy using the Job ID (16546) or Title (Special Legal Counsel).In order to be considered for this position, applicants must include a cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three references (as one document), by the closing date.CLOSING DATEApril 23, 2017Review of applications to begin April 8.JOB SEARCH CATEGORYCUNY Job Posting: ExecutiveEQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITYCUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.*Location:
* Guttman Community College*Job Title:
* Special Legal Counsel (Associate Administrator)*Job ID:
* 16546*Full/Part Time: