The Office of Insurance Services facilitates Carnegie Mellon University's strategic recommendations to help the university to align business processes and operations to enable faculty, students, and staff to support the mission of CMU. We achieve this by creating efficiencies, improving policies and processes, and reducing duplication and costs throughout the university. Our office strives to do this while maintaining focus, prioritization, and a data-driven approach in decision making for insurance services provided to the university.
The Senior Insurance Specialist supports the department by meeting the insurance management needs of the university, as well as coordinating daily operations of the office. Primary functions include, but are not limited to assisting the Manager in working with university management to assess potential sources of operational loss in connection with university activities, and assisting in the development and implementation of risk mitigation strategies and standard methodologies. In this role you will provide ongoing assessment of insurance needs, and negotiation and procurement of appropriate insurance coverage to address areas of risk, including evaluating insurance contracts, coverages, exclusions, and endorsements. You will also be responsible for:
- Assisting the Manager in gathering and organizing underwriting data and completing insurance applications, processing insurance claims, including providing notice to insurance carriers;
- Submission of claims and negotiation of recovery;
- Assisting the Office of General Counsel on the coordination of litigation and recovery strategy;
- Assisting the Manager in development of training programs to address institutional risk; and
- Serving as point of contact with various external partners, including insurance brokers, carriers, underwriters, claims adjusters, attorneys and other external service providers;
- Provide departmental support in areas including insurance policy management, expense reports, purchasing cards, vehicle titles, registrations and recall notices, insurance premiums and claims deductible invoices, issuing insurance certificates and auto ID cards.
We are looking for someone who enjoys working in a unique and dynamic environment, demonstrates an extraordinary attention to detail, strong administrative skills and displays excellent communication skills in all forms. You should thrive in an environment which requires problem solving, creative thinking, and where you can support decision making with a strategic and data-driven approach.
- Bachelor's degree required; major or concentration in risk management preferred
- Minimum 3-5 years of relevant work experience required; prior experience in higher education risk management and insurance is preferred
- ARM (Associate in Risk Management) certification or similar educational designation preferred
Please visit Why Carnegie Mellon to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world. http://www.cmu.edu/jobs/why-cmu/index.html. A listing of employee benefits is available at: http://www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/index.html.
Carnegie Mellon University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.